Devil Hunter Ariel

i don't know, i am apparently not creative enough to come up with anything tonight. maybe tomorrow will be better.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland Metro, Oregon, United States

A stay-at-home mother of two in the Portland, Oregon area, I find I have a lot of free time during which I write, keep a 200 sq. ft. garden, crochet, and remodel my home. All while dodging a 15 yr old girl and a 5 yr old boy.

5/16/2006

Could it Get Any Worse?

My day hasn't started out well. It really hasn't started at all, because in order for today to start, yesterday has to have ended. But, since Aaron was on-call last night, and the phone woke me up twice (I believe), plus, I had enough trouble getting to sleep anyway because it was sweltering. So, today, relatively speaking has just become an extension of yesterday rather than an entity unto itself. My sister called last night to tell me that her boss wants to see everything we have because she has already billed for half of the production budget for this book, yet we are nowhere near finished with it, not even halfway finished. She's not happy, to say the least, had she known the budget was so small from the outset, she would have slapped them silly and told them it couldn't be done for that little. You see, most of their books include an abundance of stories, stories that are easy enough to research and write a full page or even two about. This book is just facts. Twenty facts to a page, each and every one of those facts has to be researched, verified, creatively laid out, edited, and finally the page is done. EACH page is like this. Of course it's going to take a lot of time, time is equal to money. I think they figured they'd give it a small budget because it's just facts and should be easy, but really it's much more time-consuming than a regular book.
So angie may be pulled off the project, oh well, they'll just put someone else on it who will insist they can do it better and will find out by the time it's done that they have gone way over budget as well.
For the time being tho, I have once again lost my source of income. Not that it was much mind you, but it did help a lot.
To top things off Mina woke up yesterday puking, so she stayed home. I'm not sure what caused it, she tends to have a sensitive stomach, but I wasn't gonna send her to school and risk the possibility that she'd puke while there and I wouldn't be able to get her because Aaron had my car. Which leads me to the next sucky thing that has happened... his car key is stripped, it won't turn over the ignition in his truck, so he's been driving my car to work the past three days. Not a bad thing really, I don't mind him driving my car. But since he has the car this morning and all, I can't get Mina to school. Why? you ask, because the damned bus driver doesn't know how to read a clock! When the school first gave me the bus schedule it said the bus would arrive at 8:22 am, we soon discovered that this actually meant 8:18 am, and some days 8:35 am... see where this is leading? So, normally we leave at 8:10 am and the kids all play tag at the bus stop while they wait for the bus. Today, we left a bit late (8:12 am) and hustled down there, just in case. We had missed it, apparently by quite a while. So, once again, she is home, because I can't get her to school without the car. The school is too far to walk, although it's only a 5 minute drive. Yup, my past 24 hours haven't gone very well. I'm reviewing the serenity prayer in my mind, and hoping for strength, wisdom, and courage.

(Afterword: Mina's school rocks! I called the school to explain why she wouldn't be there, and how I was sans vehicle to get her to school. The school apparently has a few employees who have set up a pickup service, they come to your house and pick up your kid if for some reason they miss the bus and you can't get them to school. So, the receptionist just pulled up and picked up Mina and said she had one more to get on the way back to the school. Thank goodness! I was very worried about her missing any more school than she needed to.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Brandy said...

oh wow. Sounds like a hectic day! :(
Is Mina still having problems fitting in at school?

5/16/2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger SWSNBN said...

I'm glad they came to get her.

And you asking if it can get any worse...it's making me nervous.
Did you knock on wood?
Cause we BOTH know that yes, indeed, it could be worse.
Things can always be worse unless you are living on the street and not able to eat.
I don't think it gets much worse than that.

5/16/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger Segue said...

There's something funny about the school receptionist picking up Bus Driver slack.

I'm glad your day got better.

5/17/2006 6:28 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Last time I asked if it could get any worse, twenty minutes later I was calling Mr Z from some stranger's cell phone to announce I'd just totalled my car & was going to ride the ambulance to the e.r. to have Myrtle's back x-rayed.

I could be worse! It could! It could!!

Hope you have a better day today.

5/18/2006 5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home