Sorrows
For some unknown reason people tend to call me with bad news. Whether it's bad news I want to hear or not.
My dad called earlier this week to tell me that my stepmom's stepdad had passed away, not a big shock since he was very old. But it means that her mom will be moving in with my dad and Jackie. While he was at it, he informed me that he planned on putting my dog to sleep too. Losing Sugar is a little harder, but ever since she developed cancer I was prepared for the day that she would be put down, six years ago he had suggested that it was time to put her to sleep, and he wanted me to okay it because she is my dog. I told him that when she stopped living, and was only surviving, it would be time. Six years later, it's time. She doesn't chase the cats anymore, she doesn't come running out to greet cars in the driveway anymore... she's not happy, and she's dying. And now is the time, before she starts to really suffer.
I had another call last week, from Daren, to inform me that his mother who had been fighting cancer, had also passed away.
Then, Tammi called this morning to inform me that Marian, who is the mother of Nancy and Joe who run Eat at Joe's restaurant, passed away. She died in a car accident.
Eat at Joe's has been Mina's favorite restaurant since she was a baby, they still give her free ice cream when she comes in, and as many sprinkles on it as she wants. It's the epitome of the little hometown cafe where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. Like Cheers, but without the alcohol.
I'm sad to hear of Marian's passing away, but on top of everything else this week, it seems faded, unreal, and just a little false.
I told Mina about her death after talking to Tammi... but I haven't told her about Sugar being put down yet.
That's going to be a lot harder.
My dad called earlier this week to tell me that my stepmom's stepdad had passed away, not a big shock since he was very old. But it means that her mom will be moving in with my dad and Jackie. While he was at it, he informed me that he planned on putting my dog to sleep too. Losing Sugar is a little harder, but ever since she developed cancer I was prepared for the day that she would be put down, six years ago he had suggested that it was time to put her to sleep, and he wanted me to okay it because she is my dog. I told him that when she stopped living, and was only surviving, it would be time. Six years later, it's time. She doesn't chase the cats anymore, she doesn't come running out to greet cars in the driveway anymore... she's not happy, and she's dying. And now is the time, before she starts to really suffer.
I had another call last week, from Daren, to inform me that his mother who had been fighting cancer, had also passed away.
Then, Tammi called this morning to inform me that Marian, who is the mother of Nancy and Joe who run Eat at Joe's restaurant, passed away. She died in a car accident.
Eat at Joe's has been Mina's favorite restaurant since she was a baby, they still give her free ice cream when she comes in, and as many sprinkles on it as she wants. It's the epitome of the little hometown cafe where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. Like Cheers, but without the alcohol.
I'm sad to hear of Marian's passing away, but on top of everything else this week, it seems faded, unreal, and just a little false.
I told Mina about her death after talking to Tammi... but I haven't told her about Sugar being put down yet.
That's going to be a lot harder.

4 Comments:
So sorry about all of the bad news. I hope Mina takes the Sugar news all right. Zilla's been going through some similar animal heart ache. Must be something in the air.
As for the passing of friends and family, that's a lot to take in for one week. You must be a rock for your friends and family, though, to be leaned on so much.
Sprinkles? Will someone please explain to me why people like sprinkles? Sure, they're pretty, but don't they taste like little bits of crayon?
I'm wishing a gentle passage for Sugar, and acceptance for Mina. It's never easy. By your definition, I should try to save Ivan (at least until Wednesday, when the culture comes back), but I should have Patches put down. I'll think about that.
My mother lucks out with the best kinds of cats. They go out at night, get eaten by a fisher, and my mother never has to make a tough decision.
I'm just going to sit here and hate my mother for five minutes.
Hugs.
I don't seem to have bad news (knock on wood)
Not often anyhow.
Good for me, cause I tend to fall apart.
I'm sorry about your dog honey. =S
I don't know of anyone dying/died recently! No bad news here :)
Post a Comment
<< Home