Devil Hunter Ariel

i don't know, i am apparently not creative enough to come up with anything tonight. maybe tomorrow will be better.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland Metro, Oregon, United States

A stay-at-home mother of two in the Portland, Oregon area, I find I have a lot of free time during which I write, keep a 200 sq. ft. garden, crochet, and remodel my home. All while dodging a 15 yr old girl and a 5 yr old boy.

8/18/2005

Simple Ideas, Complex Procedures

So my dad gave me one of his crappy computers because I promised that if he would buy the parts I would build him a good one, also because he insisted that the hard drive bearings were going out.
Are there bearings in a hard drive? Maybe, but not likely. It works fine.

I took it home last weekend, wiped the drive, installed XP and a couple other useful programs, and took it out to Des. Her old computer had the hard drive go out in it, so she is getting this one as a loner. But, she wanted to get cable internet and dad's comp didn't have an ethernet card, so I ordered a USB-based ethernet connection (partly just because I wanted it) on newegg.com. It arrived yesterday.
I went over there to pop the hard drive from comp A into comp B to see if her old comp would work with the new drive. NO. The power supply was fucked. So I tore apart comp B for spare parts (let me tell you they don't make those compaqs easy to tear apart) put the hard drive back, threw in a few more Mb of RAM, the CD burner, and the ethernet card. Comp A is now running like a champ, and she can get her cable internet, and I get to keep the cute little ethernet connector.
After only two hours of struggle, we both came out on top and the POS Compaq is now happily ensconsed in the garbage can.

I live for this shit, destroying and rebuilding computers is my thing, I'm like fucking Frankenstein. It's hard work, but I'm always proud when I accomplish my task. It's very gratifying.

6 Comments:

Blogger AnywhereEden said...

lots and lots of practice.
My dad is computer illiterate, so I had to learn it fast to save his ass. Every damned time he calls me up insisting that he has another virus and I have to explain to him that no he doesn't he's just stupid, I get a little bit geekier.

8/18/2005 10:50 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay! So Des is back! Yay yay. Not that we mind Karina posting for Des, but you know, posting your own stuff your own self is always way better!

You rock~

8/19/2005 5:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know, we are looking to fill a Help Desk / PC Support position where I work. :P

8/19/2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

*cheer!*

8/19/2005 2:43 PM  
Blogger fineartist said...

Girl where were you when my Pc bit the dust? I agree with dreams, you rock, hard!

8/20/2005 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cracking post

8/25/2005 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home