Devil Hunter Ariel

i don't know, i am apparently not creative enough to come up with anything tonight. maybe tomorrow will be better.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland Metro, Oregon, United States

A stay-at-home mother of two in the Portland, Oregon area, I find I have a lot of free time during which I write, keep a 200 sq. ft. garden, crochet, and remodel my home. All while dodging a 15 yr old girl and a 5 yr old boy.

12/08/2005

Christmas Traditions

Lately I've had a serious lack of brain power in the evenings, so I've been posting in the mornings instead. It's just not as conducive to writing truly scathing remarks about my day, since it's no longer fresh in my mind.
Last night I got home around 8 and was pleasantly surprised to find that I had a letter from Zilla in my mailbox. Yay!
That improved my mood dramatically.
We set up our tree Tuesday night and I, being the moron that I am on occasion, made the ultimate tree-decorating no-no. I set the tree in it's stand, wrapped it in lights, and THEN plugged it in. The lights didn't work. An hour and a half later after changing out every bulb in the two hundred light strand, and testing the fuses, I threw the lights off the tree and at the wall. I told Mina to get her shoes on and we trucked down to the store to buy new lights. $2.50... and I'm thinking "Well shit, had I known they were so cheap I would've just bought new ones as soon as I realized the old ones didn't work instead of trying to fix them." While we were there we each picked out our ornament for the year, a tough decision, one that Mina usually has a very hard time with. This year it was me that couldn't decide. That's our one holiday tradition. When I moved out of my parents' house I realized that I didn't own any Christmas ornaments, and the damned things are expensive as hell, so each year Mina and I buy one new ornament, that way when she moves out on her own she'll have at least 18 ornaments and I'll have at least 18 ornaments, and I don't have to pay a half million dollars right off the bat. For the first few years it was a little slim so we filled in with some cheap glass balls and candy canes, but we're finally at the point where we can dispense with them and our tree still looks pretty good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey! Maybe your secret Santa will send you an ornament for your tree!

12/08/2005 9:27 AM  
Blogger fineartist said...

That ornament idea is brilliant.

12/08/2005 10:59 AM  
Blogger Chep said...

My mother used to do the same thing when we were kids - we used to get 2 a year: one wooden and one glass. I now have all the wooden ones and we get the glass ones when mom decides she's done using them (but with the looks of my tree I don't need any fancy ones!) You do have a fine looking tree though!

12/12/2005 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home