Devil Hunter Ariel

i don't know, i am apparently not creative enough to come up with anything tonight. maybe tomorrow will be better.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland Metro, Oregon, United States

A stay-at-home mother of two in the Portland, Oregon area, I find I have a lot of free time during which I write, keep a 200 sq. ft. garden, crochet, and remodel my home. All while dodging a 15 yr old girl and a 5 yr old boy.

9/04/2006

Death of a Crazy Man

Just wanted to take a moment to honor the memory of a great, and totally insane, man.
Steve Irwin, also known as the Crocodile Hunter, passed away the other day. In a freak accident he was stabbed through the chest by a sting ray barb while filming a conservation documentary. He is survived by his wife Terry, a Eugene area native, and his two children, Bindi and Bob.
There are a lot of things that could be said about Steve, both good and bad, but the most important thing to remember about him is that he was a man who showed no fear till the very end. He worked hard and put his life on the line, not just to provide for his family, but also to provide for his REAL family, the zoo. He made it possible for the Australia Zoo to not only continue operations, but to grow and thrive, and help even more animals in need of sanctuary.
If nothing more could be said about him, at least everyone has to admit that he was dedicated to his home, the Australia Zoo. And the world can always use more dedicated people.

So, in honor of Steve, I request that people please use an Aussie accent whenever possible and appropriate today, and make sure to say "Crikey!" a lot.

4 Comments:

Blogger SWSNBN said...

I'm sorry, I could never get away with saying Crikey.
It's strange..he dies in some wierd, freak accident, after pissing off so many animals?

Amazing and strange.

9/04/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You fixed your space bar, you whiz-kid you!

We've been crikeying all day. Actually, I believe he was killed "Monday." But the problem is that Australia is twelve hours ahead of us, so maybe he was killed on our Sunday? It's so confusing. This morning, after younger Eena said that Moose told her the croc hunter was killed, and she hoped he was just teasing (yes, he can be that insensitive), I googled "steve irwin dead" and the least recent hit was a few hours old. Could've been both our Mondays!

I was traveling in New Zealand with Australians at the time of the baby-too-close-to-crocs incident, and the Aussies were outraged; embarrassed. I felt for them, and I questioned Mr Irwin's judgment, but what I will always remember is that he loved animals, knew animals so, so well, and devoted his life to educating the rest of us about animals.

It is hugely absurd that he was killed by a passive beast, after a life time of skillfully subduing aggressive beasts for their own good and toward the education of the world public.

Also, it sort of freaks me out that I was wearing my Aussie tee yesterday and younger Eena wore hers today.

What really freaks me out? Every time I see footage of the guy, he reminds me so much of John Denver, another conservationist who died an unusual death.

9/04/2006 5:04 PM  
Blogger the Book of Keira said...

Consider it done.

9/06/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Segue said...

Oops, I was logged in as the108 because I was helping her fix her template.

Let's try that again:


Consider it done.

9/06/2006 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home