Devil Hunter Ariel

i don't know, i am apparently not creative enough to come up with anything tonight. maybe tomorrow will be better.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland Metro, Oregon, United States

A stay-at-home mother of two in the Portland, Oregon area, I find I have a lot of free time during which I write, keep a 200 sq. ft. garden, crochet, and remodel my home. All while dodging a 15 yr old girl and a 5 yr old boy.

1/16/2012

It's Been More Than a Year

I don't know if anyone out there is still reading this. I have a lot of spare time on my hands right now and a few projects I've been working on, nothing special. Sometimes I think to myself that it would be good to get back into writing, and that I have a lot of knowledge in different areas that i know there is a market for. I've considered starting a community garden in the mobile home park, or starting a remodeling blog/business, writing about gardening, or creating an online newsletter about Green living, writing a journal style book about our climb toward financial freedom... so many ideas, but when it comes down to it I have no idea how to make them into something useful. I wish I did, or that I knew someone who did that could help me.
If there was any promise that these ideas would pan out into an income I would go full bore to develop them.

Update, if anyone cares, on my life? Aaron has been working for a large company in Portland for the past year. He enjoys the work but not the CEOs, he works long hours and has a long commute to downtown Portland. The money has been great though, he is one of the few IT managers out there that actually get overtime pay. This has enabled us to to do a lot of work on the house, get two of my three student loans paid off, buy a new car, replace a few pieces of furniture that had hit the end of their lifespan, and get ourselves and the kids in to the doctor/dentist/etc. I've been working hard to manage the money to accomplish some goals and get us on the right track for the future.
The kids are doing well, potty training is proving challenging but Alex is still a sweet and thoughtful boy. Mina has hit teen age and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. So far she has done well, middle school hasn't been nearly as rough on her as it was on me, and while her grades are lacking a bit I figure that is just part of the adjustment process and remind her I expect to see them improve with time. She's quiet and sometimes I think she makes an effort to be invisible while at the same time she feels like she's ignored. Honestly it's easy to ignore a kid who is gone most of the time and when she's home either stays in her room or on her computer. I feel bad that that is the case, because I don't mean to ignore her, but some days I just don't even realize she's there.
Meanwhile, my winters are filled with holidays, appointments, and school days. My spring is filled with remodeling the kitchen, planting the garden, and visiting friends back home. Summer is barbecues on the patio, making improvements to the yard, harvesting the garden and processing all the fruits, seeds, and vegetables. I'm learning to can, make salsa and sauces, jams, pies, relishes, pickles... My 82 sq. ft. garden pumps out more produce than I can keep up with. It's great that I am growing more than we can eat and am able to share pounds and pounds of fresh produce with my mom who is on a fixed income and can't always afford the fresh foods she needs to manage her diabetes. I am more proud of that little garden than anything else. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Navarro said...

awesome, i am glad things are going good for you guys! i was worried about you...yes we are still reading

1/21/2012 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home