A Note on Morons
For all of you out there who are smarter than the average bear.
How many times have you gone to a parts store (any kind): Knecht's, CarQuest, VOS computers, or PC Palace, only to be treated like a complete retard by whoever works there. Either you're female (because god forbid women might know something about cars, computers, lumber, or plumbing), or young, or don't have a degree in whatever it may be, or even just have a slack-jawed look about you, and because of this the greasemonkey/zit-faced computer nerd/lumberjack yard worker talks to you as though you have an IQ of 3.
Today I went into the Digital Duck, primarily to poke around but also in hopes of pricing a few items I have been considering obtaining, after searching the computer cords on the racks I gave up looking for a "crossover cable" and went to seek help. For those who don't know this is a cable that will allow you to connect two computers together to form a bi-directional network (data can go both ways, much like a bisexual). Not that complicated, right? So unable to find it on the shelf and wondering if they give it some kind of spiffy nickname to confuse people (i.e. bi-directional ethernet networking cable, or some other crap) I asked the nice man at the desk if they carried them. The response I got was something like, "oh the ethernet cables are on the shelf, you sure that's not what you want?" No. That is not what I want. "You could do it with one of them though." No, no I can't. They are uni-directional, and I'd have to buy a hub, I don't want a hub. "Ohhhh, umm, yeah, we put them on a different shelf so that people don't buy them accidentally when they only want an ethernet cable." I don't, I want a crossover cable... NOW!
Needless to say, this annoyed me.
Then I went to the counter to pay for my crossover cable. The counter guy looked at it, looked at me, and then quite condescendingly said, "You sure this is what you want? You do know it's a crossover cable, right?" The look on his face however said "You sure a little girl like you wouldn't rather buy a nice pretty Hello Kitty mousepad today?" NO. Yes, this is what I want!! Just ring it up you high-and-mighty-holier-than-thou-piece-of-shit-computer-geek!!!!
Why is it so hard for them to believe that I might know something about networking (not everything, but something), or even home improvement (not decorating but down and dirty tearing out flooring and laying down linoleum, and replacing toilets).
For all of you condescending bastards out there: yes, I know what computer parts I want and if i'm not sure, I'll ask! Yes, I know what car parts I want, what size lumber I need, how to fit a wax toilet ring, how to use a drill press, and many other things. No I couldn't tell you what shirt clashes with what pants, or how to streak your hair, I don't have hairspray I can loan out, and I most certainly don't want a Hello Kitty mousepad, especially since I don't need a mousepad at all with my mouse!
SO PISS OFF!!!!
How many times have you gone to a parts store (any kind): Knecht's, CarQuest, VOS computers, or PC Palace, only to be treated like a complete retard by whoever works there. Either you're female (because god forbid women might know something about cars, computers, lumber, or plumbing), or young, or don't have a degree in whatever it may be, or even just have a slack-jawed look about you, and because of this the greasemonkey/zit-faced computer nerd/lumberjack yard worker talks to you as though you have an IQ of 3.
Today I went into the Digital Duck, primarily to poke around but also in hopes of pricing a few items I have been considering obtaining, after searching the computer cords on the racks I gave up looking for a "crossover cable" and went to seek help. For those who don't know this is a cable that will allow you to connect two computers together to form a bi-directional network (data can go both ways, much like a bisexual). Not that complicated, right? So unable to find it on the shelf and wondering if they give it some kind of spiffy nickname to confuse people (i.e. bi-directional ethernet networking cable, or some other crap) I asked the nice man at the desk if they carried them. The response I got was something like, "oh the ethernet cables are on the shelf, you sure that's not what you want?" No. That is not what I want. "You could do it with one of them though." No, no I can't. They are uni-directional, and I'd have to buy a hub, I don't want a hub. "Ohhhh, umm, yeah, we put them on a different shelf so that people don't buy them accidentally when they only want an ethernet cable." I don't, I want a crossover cable... NOW!
Needless to say, this annoyed me.
Then I went to the counter to pay for my crossover cable. The counter guy looked at it, looked at me, and then quite condescendingly said, "You sure this is what you want? You do know it's a crossover cable, right?" The look on his face however said "You sure a little girl like you wouldn't rather buy a nice pretty Hello Kitty mousepad today?" NO. Yes, this is what I want!! Just ring it up you high-and-mighty-holier-than-thou-piece-of-shit-computer-geek!!!!
Why is it so hard for them to believe that I might know something about networking (not everything, but something), or even home improvement (not decorating but down and dirty tearing out flooring and laying down linoleum, and replacing toilets).
For all of you condescending bastards out there: yes, I know what computer parts I want and if i'm not sure, I'll ask! Yes, I know what car parts I want, what size lumber I need, how to fit a wax toilet ring, how to use a drill press, and many other things. No I couldn't tell you what shirt clashes with what pants, or how to streak your hair, I don't have hairspray I can loan out, and I most certainly don't want a Hello Kitty mousepad, especially since I don't need a mousepad at all with my mouse!
SO PISS OFF!!!!

3 Comments:
giggles :)
i know what you mean about the condescending female thing when you go to a male-dominated place of business.
that's furny, but in a bad way...
I like going into Knecht's :)
just to browse...
and weird them out...
No typing, that's a bad kitty. *grin*
I work with those people, tell me about it. you might put a suggestion into the box.
I don't have to ask them questions about computer stuff at least, but I am not sure if it is better or worse that they still talk to me like I am stupid, even when it isn't computer related. I mean, WTF?
G was already in here this morning, bitching about how inventory doesn't work and no one tells him, blah, blah, blah.
Inventory would work fine if your damn ASS didn't fuck it up.
Post a Comment
<< Home