Kinder-cology
Not long after getting back from the school a semi hit a power line at the intersection near the house. Power was out until 7. Good god it was difficult to find things to do with Mina without any power. So we lit every candle I could find, and played Pokemon Yahtzee for a while. Then we got bored and played with the candles, then we talked about some stuff, and I realized just how observant she really is. I was telling her how I wanted to get to know her new friend Megan before I was okay with having Megan watch her. She didn't understand why. So I said "well, because I want to make sure she's someone I could trust with you." and went on to explain about how I don't want someone who uses drugs or hangs around with scary people to watch her. This got me on the topic of smoking pot, and how it clouds your judgement. She replied that Grampa smokes pot, and Tara and Zeke smoke pot, and Gramma smokes pot... the list went on and on.
I was shocked that she knew this. I figured she thought they were smoking tobacco like me, I didn't think she knew what pot was!
And when we got to talking about people being cranky, she shared how she felt a certain family's structure was not very functional because everyone in it was cranky with someone else. She actually almost used those exact words! When did my daughter become a psychologist? I couldn't believe how observant and intelligentshe was showing herself to be. I have always thought that most of what goes on around her just goes over her head, but now I'm starting to realize that I should just explain things outright to her, because she gets it anyway.
She mentioned that me and Aaron get along better than she and I do. She was butt hurt, because we get along so well. So I told her that she and I got along really well when she was first born, but then we got used to each other and weren't always so nice. So sooner or later Aaron and I won't get along so well, and we'll stop playing nice together and just be straightforward.
It's bound to happen, so she shouldn't be jealous that we mesh so well. She and I are a lot more honest with each other, because we've stopped hiding behind being nice. Besides, I like that my kid is honest about her feelings with me, even when her current feeling is bitchy, or just plain obstinate.
She's still my baby, and she's still my greatest love and favorite person in the whole world. And she knows it.
I was shocked that she knew this. I figured she thought they were smoking tobacco like me, I didn't think she knew what pot was!
And when we got to talking about people being cranky, she shared how she felt a certain family's structure was not very functional because everyone in it was cranky with someone else. She actually almost used those exact words! When did my daughter become a psychologist? I couldn't believe how observant and intelligentshe was showing herself to be. I have always thought that most of what goes on around her just goes over her head, but now I'm starting to realize that I should just explain things outright to her, because she gets it anyway.
She mentioned that me and Aaron get along better than she and I do. She was butt hurt, because we get along so well. So I told her that she and I got along really well when she was first born, but then we got used to each other and weren't always so nice. So sooner or later Aaron and I won't get along so well, and we'll stop playing nice together and just be straightforward.
It's bound to happen, so she shouldn't be jealous that we mesh so well. She and I are a lot more honest with each other, because we've stopped hiding behind being nice. Besides, I like that my kid is honest about her feelings with me, even when her current feeling is bitchy, or just plain obstinate.
She's still my baby, and she's still my greatest love and favorite person in the whole world. And she knows it.

5 Comments:
Breaking rules for me?
Well, she didn't mention you in the list of people who smoke.
Besides, there's a big difference between letting you or Ben watch her, and letting an 18 year old neighbor watch her, I'm a lot more particular when it comes to the new neighbor, than I am with my friends that I've known for years.
:)
(and now I'm thinking of all the things my kids know I do that I thought they didn't know...)
I just figured out the honesty thing this week, and it's working for me. I'm glad I stopped in. You're daughter's insight is AMAZING. She must take after her Mom.
Aaron sounds cool, too. At least he's being a great sport.
True. I take great pains.
=)
This post is honesty and wisdom.
You are a quality individual Ariel. xxx, Lori
Post a Comment
<< Home